they were yummy yummy. i think next time i make them i'll add an extra clove of garlic, another chipotle pepper and another tsp. of adobo sauce for more of a flavor explosion. next time i'll either use less lime in the guac or just use slices of avocado instead. i was so worried they would fall apart while cooking, but didn't have any problems with them! i browned them in a skillet instead of grilling. we ate them on whole wheat buns with a spinach salad.
southwestern black bean cakes with guacamole
sizzling right from the grill, these tex-mex vegetarian burgers are delicious simply topped with guacamole and tomato or tucked into a kaiser roll or hamburger bun.
prep: 20 minutes
grill: 8 minutes
makes: 4 servings
- 1/2 of a medium avocado, seeded and peeled (we used a whole avocado)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ground black pepper
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, torn
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 1 small plum tomato, chopped
- for guacamole, in a small bowl mash avocado. stir in lime juice; season to taste with salt and black pepper. cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- place torn bread in a food processor bowl or blender container. cover and process or blend until bread resembles coarse crumbs. transfer bread crumbs to a large bowl; set aside.
- place cilantro and garlic in the food processor bowl or blender container. cover and process or blend until finely chopped. add the beans, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and cumin. cover and process or blend using on/off pulses until beans are coarsely chopped and mixture begins to pull away from the side of the bowl or container. add bean mixture to bread crumbs. add egg; mix well. shape into for 1/2 inch patties.
- lightly grease the rack of an uncovered grill. place patties on rack. grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 10 minutes or until patties are heated through, turning once halfway though grilling. (they did fine in a skillet, but i'm wondering how well they'll hold up on a grill...)
- to serve, top the patties with guacamole and tomato.
nutrition facts per serving: 178 calories, 7 g total fat, 53 mg cholesterol, 487 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein.