this is also a recipe from the BHG easy dinners healthy recipes book. i've already made this chicken again to put on a salad - it's fantastic on a salad. it's actually on the menu for this week too! i put the orange juice concentrate into another container and scoop out the 2Tbs for the recipe and leave the rest in the freezer, so now i have it on hand and it's an easy way to make yummy chicken. the salad i did was spinach, lettuce, tangerine chunks, tomato, walnuts, homemade croutons and the pieces of glazed chicken. so good.
Orange juice concentrate and molasses dress up chicken with a rich golden finish and a subtle citrus flavor.
Prep: 5 minutes
Broil: 12 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total) or 8 small skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- ground black pepper
- hot cooked spinach fettuccine or plain fettuccine (optional)
- orange peel strips* (optional)
- For glaze, in a small bowl stir together orange juice concentrate, molasses, and onion powder.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 6 minutes. Brush with some of the glaze. Turn chicken; brush with remaining glaze. Broil for 6 to 9 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. If desired, serve with fettuccine and garnish with orange peel strips.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 160 calories, 3 g total fat, 59 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 22 g protein.
*Note: For orange peel strips, use a vegetable peeler to cut thin strips of peel from the surface of an orange. Make sure to remove only the orange part of the peel.