the next recipe i tried out (the very next night) was the salmon with fresh pineapple salsa. i thought i should make use of the pineapple that santa brought oscar. i had a hard time enjoying this recipe because i overdid it munching on the fresh pineapple. my mouth felt like i had been sucking on razor blades! it was pretty good and jeremy was looking for things to put the salsa on after the fish was gone.. he ended up just eating the salsa by itself.
salmon with fresh pineapple salsa
serve this tropical salmon with a tossed spinach salad dressed with light italian salad dressing.
prep: 20 minutes (they must chop faster than i do.....)
grill: 8 minutes (i baked it)
makes: 4 servings
- 1 1-pound fresh or frozen skinless salmon fillet, about 1 inch thick.
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small fresh jalepeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro or fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- fresh pineapple wedges (optional)
- thaw fish, if frozen. rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. for salsa, in a medium bowl combine the chopped pineapple, sweet pepper, red onion, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, the jalapeno pepper, cilantro or chives, and honey. set aside. brush both sides of fish with the remaining lime juice; sprinkle with cumin.
- generously grease a wire grill basket. place fish in grill basket, tucking under any thin edges for an even thickness. place grill basket on the rack of an uncovered grill. grill fish directly over medium coals for 8 to 12 minutes or just until fish flakes easily with a fork, carefully turning once halfway through grilling.
- to serve, cut fish into 4 serving-size pieces. if desired, serve fish pieces on pineapple wedges. spoon salsa over fish.
nutrition facts per serving: 170 calories, 4 g total fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 17 g protein.