i set out the rest of the salsa, some sour cream, onion and avocado for topping. the boys ate theirs with the goodies shoved inside, but i piled mine on top. i'm sure there's lots of other yummy stuff you could put on top... i was trying to think of a side dish to serve with this, but it's really got just about everything IN it (or on it).
Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (i didn't use all of this.. probably will just spray w/ pam next time)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion (i probably used about three times as much)
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (i used a 15.5oz can of corn)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salsa (i used 1/2 cup - since i had added all that extra corn and onion)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (i just used a pinch.. i didnt want it too hot for oscar)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided (sprayed with pam instead)
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas (i want to try whole wheat ones next.. i was worried about them cracking though)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided (used cheddar b/c i had it on hand, also, i didnt use that much - just shredded a bit on there to help glue it together)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans and corn, then add sugar, salsa, and pepper flakes; mix well. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Melt 2 teaspoons of the butter (or spray w/ pam) in a large skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet, sprinkle evenly with cheese, then top with some of the bean mixture. Place another tortilla on top (or fold over), cook until golden, then flip and cook on the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.(i followed other suggestions that said to fold it in half rather than stack another tortilla. as much as the corn and beans wanted to escape out of one side, i'm sure it would have been a huge mess to try to flip it otherwise. but maybe my runaway beans were because i used a lot less cheese? i dont know.. but it was yummy.. is it still a quesadilla if it's folded in half?)